Thursday 26 August 2010

Michel Gondry x Uprock

I’ve been a fan of Michel Gondry for a while now, from his incredible videos for Daft Punk, Bjork and the White Stripes through to the dream-like beauty of his movies. When I got married my wife even walked down the aisle to our favourite song from Gondry's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

So on my birthday last year, when my brother told me that he had commissioned Michel Gondry to draw a portrait of me I was pretty excited. The only downside, Ric explained, was that he was busy directing films and stuff so it hadn’t arrived in time for my actual birthday.

Turns out Gondry stayed busy (although he sent nice apologetic update emails) and by the time my birthday this year rolled around the picture still hadn’t arrived.

To make up for it, Ric made me this video of his imaginary trip to California tracking the picture down…


A couple of months later an airmail envelope finally arrives in Suffolk from Beverly Hills, with an amazing portrait immortalising a midriff-baring moment from Uprock's New Years Eve party:



But in a surreal twist, also slipped inside the envelope was a note from Gondry himself, who had somehow found Ric's video message online and taken issue with at least one bit of the content:


So the lesson from this story – always respect the Gondry. And if you can’t be kind, rewind.

As a nod to the great man, here are three of my favourite Michel Gondry videos – enjoy.

Daft Punk - Around the World



Massive Attack - Protection



The White Stripes - The Hardest Button to Button



Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment